In 1623, Captain Cornelius Mey with 24 Dutch settlers landed at Gloucester Point and built Fort Nassau. The Dutch settlers built a fort and trading post here to trade for furs with the Armewamexes Native Americans. The major reason for the location of Fort Nassau in Gloucester City was not military but because the fort could command the river and stop traders from accessing the Schuykill River. Fort Nassau existed for 25 years (1626-1651), so the Dutch settlers built and destroyed the fort. The exact location will never be known but its approximate location is at the intersection of Charles & Water Streets. The significance of the first, Dutch fortified settlement on the Delaware transcends the problem of its location.
– David C. Munn – The First Settlement on the Delaware River, a History of Gloucester City, 1976