Skip to toolbar

Code Enforcement / Housing Department



Building & Housing Office

700 Somerset Street, Gloucester City, NJ 08030 (Double trailer building on Monmouth Street, opposite side from Library)
P #(856) 456-7689 Fax # (856) 456-0289
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, 8 am to 5 pm
Thursday, 10 am to 7 pm
Friday, Closed

Construction Code Official & Electrical Sub-Code Official – Edward Gorman
Chief Housing Inspector & Zoning Official – William Ackley
Field Representative Property Improvement – Kyle Wagner
Building Sub-Code Official – Michael DePalma, Sr.
Plumbing Sub-Code Official – Michael DePalma, Sr.
Fire Sub-Code Official – Michael DePalma, Sr.
Technical Asst – Christine Mellon
Clerk Typist – Janice Hill

The responsibility of the Building and Housing Department to:

Issue Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Permits. A Construction Permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter or demolish a structure in any way. Inspect for Building, Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Permits. To insure that all construction is in accordance with the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) of New Jersey and its adopted codes. Issue UCC violations and/or fines, Certificates of Approval, and Certificates of Occupancy when warranted. Issue Dumpster Permits. Article XIII Chapter 87-62. Issue Banner Sign Permits. Article XVI, Section 1604.14. Issue Rental Registration and Licensing Certificates (Code 55-14). Issue violations of the Property Maintenance Code of Gloucester City, (Codes 55 and/or 66 and/or fines). Inspect and issue Certificates of Occupancy. Issue violations of the Certificates of Occupancy (Code 55-13).


Construction Permit applications are available in this office. They are also available at
After the permit applications are filled out, they must be returned to our office.


The street address, permit number, type of inspection, contact name, and phone number will be required when scheduling an inspection.

Curb Cutting & Driveway Permits

Curb Cutting and Driveway Permits are available at the City Clerk’s Office at 512 Monmouth Street. (856) 456-0205

Historic Commission Applications

Historic Commission Applications can be obtained from the Clerk’ Office at 512 Monmouth St. 

Planning Board Applications

Planning Board Applications can be obtained from Adrianne Parent, Planning/Zoning Board Secretary at 512 Monmouth Street. 456-3970 ext. 209 or online by clicking Government, then Boards on this website.

Pickup  of Metal, Branches, Etc.

For pickup of metal, branches, etc., please contact the Public Works Department at 456-0781.

Ordinance 029-2016 – Click Here to View Ordinance